Saturday, November 3, 2018

October 25, 2018: The first big rain

I've slept through the last few "rains" here.  I've felt a drop here and there, but it hasn't really rained a substantial amount.  I'm fully aware that my idea of what real rain is has been a little warped from living in Kodiak, where it rains for weeks at a time.  But in my opinion, the little rain we have experienced here would still be excellent cookout/hang out at the beach weather in Kodiak. 

Today I felt real rain for the first time, and I was pumped.  The only terrible thing about it was that tonight was our Fall Festival at school.  We all got out at noon so that the entire outdoor campus could be transformed.  There were haunted houses, festival games, and food booths.  The school looked incredible.  Dozens of carpets were laid outside for preparation.  Everything was hosted outside.  The only things that weren't out in the open were the haunted auditorium and some of the carnival games, which were still outside, but under a covered court.  While all the school workers and parents were busily setting up, it just started POURING.  I felt a little guilty, but I was so excited that I got the hammock out, strung it up on my balcony, and just watched the drops come down.  The wind whipped mist onto me, and I was the happiest I've been here yet.  There were days in Kodiak that I cried out of frustration that it was raining for the 14th day in a row, but when you haven't seen it in 3 months, you miss it. 

Thankfully the rain stopped in time for the festival to be set up again, and there was nice weather for the beginning of the festival.  About halfway through the night, there was another downpour, which sent dozens of kids and parents running into the covered court, where I was working one of the carnival games.  This was a huge blessing for me because finally my students have found a new personal narrative topic to describe during writing time.  This entire year they have only really written about playing soccer, but due to this dramatic deluge, I finally get to read about a new exciting event in their lives.  Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment