Saturday, November 17, 2018

November 10, 2018: City exploration

A group of us decided to adventure this morning.  We hopped on the tram (paid a whole pound to ride... that's about 6 cents a person), and got off at a random stop.  We wandered around and found a market. The people here were extremely welcoming and friendly.  People kept shaking our hands and welcoming us to Egypt.  I even had two different people ask to take selfies with me ("blonde-haired" people are hard to find here and apparently exciting to see), which hasn't happened since I first moved here.  It's fun to walk around in friendly neighborhoods.  It makes me realize how much I would enjoy learning Arabic.  Just saying "Shukran" (thank you) in Arabic, makes everyone excited.  Finding a tutor is on my to-do list this week. 

I've decided that I am forcing myself to go explore every weekend.  It's crucial for me to get off campus and go see this city and its people.  I'm always happy I do.

1 comment: