Friday, January 27, 2017

January 23, 2017: dozens of eagles

In Kodiak, we see bald eagles all the time.  It's not abnormal to see 7-10 together in a tree or perched on the top of a building, especially in the winter time when you drive along the shore near the canary.  There have been a handful of times when I have seen around 20 eagles in one spot, and I usually gape for a moment, squeal with delight, and/or poke someone who is with me to make sure they saw them as well.   Today, however, I saw so many eagles driving home from work that I literally yelled, "HOLY S&*T," slammed on my breaks, and did a U turn in the middle of the road so I could go back and take a picture.   The picture only shows one group of them.  Up on the side of the mountain, there were a couple more trees with about 15-20 eagles in each one.  Across the road, the canary roof was lined with them, and there were another 8-10 circling over head.  I saw three of them that were sitting in the same tree, frozen, with their wings fully extended.  Like the back of a quarter.  I probably saw close to 100 eagles at once today.  There are 60 in the picture alone!  Aside from the whale surfacing near my kayak, and the three bears along the hiking trail, this was the coolest thing I've seen in Kodiak!

No comments:

Post a Comment