Sunday, January 22, 2017

January 22, 2017: Prodigal Mitten Returns

So here is a crazy story:  Last Christmas (as in... over a year ago) I bought myself a pair of the most wonderfully warm, cozy, beautiful mittens at a craft bizarre.  These mittens are one of a kind, hand sewn, fleece lined beauties.  I had them for about 2 weeks before I lost one of the mittens.  I was devastated, and I have kept its mate for over a year in hopes that the lost mitten will return to me.  Last week, I was cleaning through the closet when I saw the lone mitten in my winter gear basket.  I decided it had been 13 months of unsuccessful searching, so it was time to part with the hope that this mitten's mate would be found.   I tossed it into my bedroom garbage pail.  This morning, on my way to church, I took the garbage out and threw it into the dumpster.

Twenty minutes later, I arrived at church and I'm not even kidding you, my long lost mitten was just sitting on the same table where they were serving donuts and coffee!!!  Not in a lost in found basket, but sitting randomly on the table!!!!!!!!!!  I literally yelled out, "MY MITTEN!!!"  Then it dawned on me that the mate was LAYING IN MY DUMPSTER!  

As soon as church got out, I walked home and grabbed this weird dinosaur hand grabby thing I just happened to have in the back seat of my car.  (don't ask).  I hoisted myself up to the dumpster, moved around a few bags with my T-Rex hand until I found my special bag, clawed it open and rescued my precious mitten.

I didn't even wash it.  I just stuck it on my hand and yelled "VICTORY!"  I really never thought this day would come.  And what are the odds that the exact day I gave up hope, I found it again.  As my friend Iris said to me today, there is a sermon in this story.  I agree, but I am too tired at the moment to write anything elaborate on it.  Just know, my friends, that some things don't happen in our timing.  Don't let your hope die.  Keep the faith.   Get your hands dirty for the things that matter.  Invest in mitten strings.   Or something inspirational like that.


2 comments: