Wednesday, November 30, 2016

November 21, 2016: Alutiiq Dancers

Every year we have the Alutiiq dancers come to Peterson.  I love them!  They tell stories through their songs and dances.  Last year, the banya song was my absolute favorite.  At that point, I had never been in a banya before, but the song was very energetic and happy, so I was excited to try it out.  I went in a banya when I was on Woody Island for the women's retreat.  It was so uncomfortably hot in there I almost died.  I literally laid on the bench and thought about death.  Today, when the dancers did the banya song again, I was really confused.  This dance was nothing like my experience.   Was I banya-ing incorrectly?  During lunch, one of my coworkers explained to me more about the banya.  Her son is one of the dancers (and he did a fantastic job!) and she was explaining that hunters who have been out for a long period of time would be excited to be back in and to wash up in the banya.  Made a lot more sense :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment