Wednesday, November 30, 2016

November 18, 2016: Pajama Par-tay!

I love teaching.  Don't get me wrong, there are days that I wonder what the heck I am doing.  I want to die.  I want to sleep.  I want to cry or do that crazy person laugh that freaks everyone out because it feels like I lost my mind.  But there are too many other days when I love my job.  I'm in a list mood, so here's why teaching is the best.  In no particular order:

-Kids are funny.  Hysterical, make me cry funny.
-I learn all sorts of random, most likely useless facts about holidays, wolf spiders, and penguins.
-I am forced to remember I can't do things with my own strength.
-I get to swing on swings, play with play dough, and paint, and I get paid to do it.
-Random hugs at a moment's notice... they're surprising and awesome.
-I get to see that incredible moment when a kiddo finally understands something that was really difficult before.  Seriously, the excitement is unexplainable.
-My teaching wardrobe includes a sparkly fanny pack
-kid art.  pages and pages of kid art. With hilarious pictures of me drawn in the center.
-I get to love on kids.  I get to be someone who tells them how awesome they are, helps them work through whatever it is that stresses their 6 year old selves out, and helps them refine the parts of themselves that might need a little work :).  I get the incredible privilege and responsibility of being a huge part of their lives for a year.  To help them figure out how to be good friends, how to handle tough situations, how to figure out what's appropriate to share with the entire class and what shouldn't be shared at all, how to make mistakes and keep going, and how to eat snack without smashing a gazillion crumbs into the floor.
-I have an excuse to order lots of post it notes.  In lots of colors.
-I get to work alongside some of the most inspirational people
-Pajama parties.  If this was an ordered list, pajama parties would definitely be near the top.  That's today's picture.  I got to wear a Finding Dory onesie to school all day today.  And that, my friends, is why I teach.


No comments:

Post a Comment