Sunday, November 27, 2016

November 13, 2016: Race Day

This race was awesome.  I mean, it also really, really sucked, but it was awesome.  Here's the deal:

Why it sucked:
-My body refused to move in even a remotely fast way.  I blame it all on the fact that the weather was warm, thanks to a terribly cold Seattle airport I didn't sleep very much two nights before the race, my breakfast everything bagel kept coming up in weird burps, and that there must have been something weird in my dinner the night before.  My body's sucking had NOTHING to do with the fact that I only trained 1-3 days a week prior to the race.  :)

Why it was awesome:
-We were in California. 
-I ran to the sound of the ocean crashing on the beach, and the sight of huge foamy waves spraying water over cliffs. 
-I was WARM!!!
-There was a bagpiper and other musicians.  And a lights show in a tunnel. 
-After the race, there was a tent where you could sit with the other finishers and massage your muscles with all sorts of expensive, fancy muscle rollers.  There's something beautiful about runners bonding over pain. 
-They gave us beer and fruit at the finish line. 
-It was an out and back run, so I got to see Stephanie after she turned around.  She was booking it, but sacrificed a few precious breaths to scream to me.  I tried to take her picture but got some random guy instead.  I got her arm.  The sun was in my eyes. 
-After the race we got to do awesome stuff like go to a candy store, drive around and look at the beach, watch seals scoot across the sand, and buy FRESH PRODUCE at a farmer's market.  

Plus, this became my 24th state I have run in!  I'm almost half way there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment