Friday, September 7, 2018

August 6, 2018: A whole new (classroom) ballgame


Today's teacher meetings mostly covered the nitty gritties of our classrooms and school life. I have worked in some amazing schools over the last 11 years.  Schutz will be no exception.  They spoil us here!  The people at the school are some of the most welcoming and friendly people I have ever met.  Everyone bends over backward to make sure that we are taken care of.  They understand that living in a foreign country is hard, so they do anything they can to ease the transition for us.  I began the day feeling really anxious about teaching an entire class of kiddos who have a completely different culture than I do.  Who on earth decided I was qualified to do this???  But throughout the day, I found myself seeing the "Schutz is Family" motto play out in front of me.  Teachers helping other teachers.  Principals and administrators easing anxieties and building the teams up.  Support staff smiling genuine smiles and being happy to help in any way possible.  I can already see that there is a reason so many teachers have stayed here so long.  I'm beyond grateful to be part of this family.

Also, my keyboard has arabic on it.   Pretty cool.  I used it to help me learn the numbers so I can know what to pay when I go shopping.  Because yesterday I just pulled out every bill in my wallet and asked the cashier to take what she needed.  I have a feeling this might not be the best strategy.

1 comment:

  1. I've done the pull out everything I have and ask the cashier to take what they need and I have found most to be quite honest about it... not great if you want to barter... Excited that you're blogging again.

    ReplyDelete