Friday, September 7, 2018

August 10, 2018: Corniche

The Corniche is a long stretch of walkway that runs along the Mediterranean.  I've walked along it once in the evening, but hadn't yet in the daytime.  It's about a 10 minute walk from school to get to the Corniche, and once you're on it, you can walk it for miles.  It's fairly crowded, but it provides one of the few places in the city that you can walk off the street.  So I like it.

Today one of the teachers who has been here for a while took us out for a walk.  I discovered that Friday mornings are the PERFECT time to walk (and RUN) in the city.  Friday is the Muslim holy day, so most Egyptians are not out in town.  Shops are closed, and streets are nearly empty.  We did see a few people out and about, but it felt like we had the city to ourselves.   We walked along one of the piers and saw a few kids flying kites.  When we got a bit closer we realized how huge the kites were.  Impressive!

I'm stoked for my first run outside of campus.  I'll most likely wait a few more weeks, because it is still so hot here, and I'll need to run in long pants.  Just walking this morning had me dripping sweat.  But running along the water again is in my near future, and that makes me pretty happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment