Tuesday, September 11, 2018

August 26, 2018: first day celebration


I survived the first day!  And it went better than I could have imagined.  For those of you who have lived in close proximity to me during my teaching career (or probably near any teacher for that matter), you know that I go into hiding the first few weeks of teaching.  There is so much laminating, organizing, printing, copying, gluing, and planning to do that I have no time for social activities.  If you try to hang out with me during these first few weeks, you'll most likely be given a glass of wine (or some Jack and Coke) and a pair of scissors, and I'll put you to work.

You'll never believe this, but I actually read for fun AND went for a run after school today.  When you have an INCREDIBLE teaching team (both my assistant and my teaching partner are phenomenal) and you have a school that makes your dinner for you, you have time to relax and enjoy yourself.  I don't ever read for fun during the school year except on breaks, so reading for an hour today felt like such a guilty pleasure.  It will take me a while to get used to not spending all of my evening hours on school work, but I'm ready for the challenge.

This picture is from tonight's run.  I'm not in love with the running situation here in Alexandria, but I am making the most of it.  It is very difficult to run outside of the school because there are very few sidewalks and the streets are too busy.  So I have been running laps around our campus.  Unfortunately, it takes about 6.5 laps to go a mile.  Podcasts help.  So do sprinkler systems when they pop on near the end of your last lap.  Standing on the very edge of the cement, I got a couple good sprays.  Delightful!

No comments:

Post a Comment