Tuesday, September 11, 2018

August 25, 2018: Twas the night before first grade...


...and the room was ready, but I wasn't quite sure I was.  I can't begin to describe how much anxiety I was feeling about the first day of school.  I absolutely hate the first week, because there are so many things that could go wrong.  I have anxiety nightmares for weeks leading up to the first day.  Things seldom go poorly, but my brain likes to anticipate worst case scenarios and play them out in in my dreams.  Don't get me started on the year when I had over 7 school related nightmares in one week.  Everything from showing up to school with no lesson plans to being locked in the supply room while the copier caught fire.   This year I had my share of nightmares, but I was just overwhelmed with the unexpected.  What would Egyptian kids be like?  What would it be like to have a teaching assistant in my classroom all day?  Where were the specials classes located (and how had I not figured this out yet)?  What do I do if the kids don't understand my English?  What if my humor doesn't translate here and the kids think I'm lame?  What if I realize I made a huge mistake coming here but there's nothing I can do about it?

**Spoiler Alert for tomorrow's post**
Like all years, I drove myself insane for nothing and the first day went just fine :)

No comments:

Post a Comment