Wednesday, June 21, 2017

May 26, 2017: Best helper ever

HAPPY LAST DAY OF SCHOOL TO ME!!!  I spent the day cleaning out my room and getting ready for summer.  Meagan was sweet enough to come in for the morning and help me organize books, take down posters, inventory curriculum, wash book shelves, and laminate things for next year.  We had Arthur with us for an hour or two, and he insisted that he wanted to help.  I taught him how to remove staples from the bulletin board, and he was quite the hard worker!  Cutest teaching sidekick I could ask for.


Happy summer!  This was one of my favorite school years ever.  I loved the kids, my teaching team, and the parents I worked with.  I have now finished my 10th year of teaching, and have taught 175 children in my classrooms.  I love my job.  It's hard, exhausting, frustrating, infuriating, and draining.  But so worth it.  I have laughed uncontrollably, cried quietly in my classroom closet, danced like a crazy fool, stretched my imagination, failed a hundred times, prayed fervently, sung off tune with enthusiasm, and partied hard with each group of kiddos.  People often ask why I became a teacher.  I feel like I should have a touching story about a teacher who inspired me to follow in his or her footsteps.  That's not really the case.  While I believe I had good teachers, I went in to teaching because I knew I kind of liked kids, and I didn't know what else to do.  I'm so grateful that I was too unmotivated to look into anything else, because this has turned out to be the most rewarding career.  I don't know if I'll be in this field forever.  The minute I become washed up and stubborn and crotchety, I'm making myself switch careers.  Kids deserve more than that.  And unfortunately, the lifespan of a good teacher tends to be short.  The job is hard.  But until I reach that point, I look forward to however many more years ahead of me I have.  I signed my contract and will be returning to Peterson in the fall.  So here's to at least one more of this craziness that I love. 

But until then...  SUMMER.

(!!!!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment