Wednesday, June 21, 2017

May 25, 2017: Would you rather...

Every morning we begin class with our morning meeting.  We greet one another by name and with a special handshake or high five.  Then we do some sort of sharing activity.  Jen introduced "Would you rather" to the kids and they are obsessed with it!  There is something quite hilarious about asking a 7 year old to choose whether or not he would rather be a giant hamster or a tiny rhino, or whether he would rather sneeze cheese or have chocolate tears.  Or if he would rather shoot spaghetti out of his fingers or sneeze meatballs.  The amount of uncontrollable laughter is amazing.  Since Jen is leaving this summer, I had to take pictures of all of her would you rather cards so that I could make my own and continue this next year.

If I haven't mentioned it already, Jen was an awesome student teacher.  She also introduced two truths and a lie to the kids for share time.  They kind of struggled with that, so she condensed it to one truth and one lie.  The kids make two statements and the rest of the class has to guess which one is the truth.  The first day we did this, the kids' statements were ridiculously obvious.  "I am sitting on the carpet.  I am home watching tv."   "I am wearing a red shirt.  I am wearing a blue shirt."  We had to model and coach the kids on how to make tricky statements.  We still got the occasional awkward yet kind of funny statements, like the following:

Student:  My mom's mom is dead.  Or... my mom's mom is alive.
(The rest of the kids start putting up a 1 or a 2 on their fingers to indicate which one of the statements is true.  I am sure I have a look of panic on my face.  Do we really want to discuss a dead grandma if that's the case? )
Me:  Ok, it looks like everyone has their guess.  Which one is true, sweetie?
Student:  My mom's mom is dead.
Half the class who guessed correctly:  YES!!!!! (fist pumping and high fiving)
Me:  ...      ...      ...      ...    um...  .... do you want to talk about it?
Student: no.
Me:  ok, who is next then?



No comments:

Post a Comment