Saturday, February 16, 2019

February 12, 2019: Actual Size

We are in the middle of our math unit on measurement.  We read the book ¨Actual Size¨ by Steve Jenkins.   Have you read it?  Those of you with kids, I highly recommend it, along with most any other book by Steve Jenkins.  It shows you the actual size of different animals or parts of animals.  The kids loved it. (Who knew that a squidś eye was so enormous- bigger than my head!)  We had students pick a part of an animal (wings, eyes, tails, tongues, etc) and research the length of these parts on various animals.  Then they will create life sized models of each part and compare them to one another.  I chose teeth as my example for the students, and this picture is of me next to life-size models of an elephant tusk and a narwhal tusk!

Teaching is cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment