Wednesday, October 3, 2018

September 22, 2018: a whole new world


This is Danielle.  She's fantastic.  Tonight Danielle introduced me to the Four Seasons Hotel and Spa.  My life in Alexandria will forever be changed.  They offer incredible deals on massage packages.  If you buy enough, the massages only cost $37 a piece.  Self care has always been very important to me. With my depression, I've learned that I have to be very intentional about listening to my brain's needs.  Exercise and being outside in nature have always been the ways I relax and refuel.  Living here has been hard to do both.  Today I discovered that for $37 a week, a massage is a fine substitute.

Danielle also introduced me to custard apples this evening.  She used to live in Burkina Faso, and she ate them there.  I had never seen them before, though I have tasted something similar in Hawaii.  They are sweet and mushy on the inside.  You can just tear them apart and suck out the insides.  How cool!

Also tonight I tried to get a pretzel from Auntie Ann's for the first time.  I asked for a classic pretzel but they said it would be more than 10 minutes for them to bake one.  So I went for the little pretzel bites instead.  They looked a little different than the bites in the US, but it's Egypt, and most things are pretty different here.  Even American things.  So I paid, grabbed a cheese sauce, and walked away.  My first bite in I realized they were potato wedges, not pretzels.  I've always known I'm unobservant, but this was plain blind.  What a disappointment!!

No comments:

Post a Comment