Saturday, October 13, 2018

October 8, 2018: Alex tour

My friend Elizabeth took this picture of me when we were touring Pompeii's Pillar.  It's a huge pillar, flanked by sphinxes.  I learned a lot about the history of the towers, but promptly forgot it all.  There's only so much history my brain can hold, and after spending 3 days in Greece, my learning has been maxed out for the week.  We went to the Catacombs today, where we learned a lot from our tour guide, only to find out later that most of the information she had given us was incorrect.  If you ever come visit, you can discover for yourself the marvelous history of the pillars and the catacombs.  All I can tell you is they were cool to look at.  Judge away; we all have strengths and remembering facts (or really caring about facts) has never been mine.

There was a moment today when we were staring at these sphinxes, that the call to prayer began.  There have been a few moments here and there where it hits me that I live in Egypt, but this one was one of the most powerful.

No comments:

Post a Comment