Sunday, December 16, 2018

November 17, 2018: Saturday adventures cont..


This is my Saturday adventure crew.  We like to get out and explore different parts of the city on Saturday mornings.  Today we were on our way to a beach on one end of the city.  There are these little microbuses that can take you up and down the corniche for 2 pounds per person, so we started our journey by hopping on one of those.  We weren't aware that some of the buses take little detours, so we ended up in a neighborhood pretty far from where we wanted to go.  We hopped in a cab and were greeted by one of the most enthusiastic drivers.  This guy was stoked to have us all crammed in his little cab (you can't see it, but my knees are up to my chin because his seat was pushed all the way back).  Some cab drivers here couldn't care less if you're American or not, and some absolutely love it  This guy was one of the latter.   He was so excited to have us (and by "us" I mostly mean Rhonda).  He cranked his music up, and she danced in the front seat, which HE LOVED.   There's no such thing as staying in lanes anyway here, but this guy was swerving all over because he was watching Rhonda.  Finally, between laughs, Sherry told her to stop because our driver clearly wasn't watching where he was going.  When she stopped, he turned the music up louder and tried switching songs- anything to get her going again.  :) 

I like these morning trips because we never quite know how the day is going to go.  I was pretty laid back to begin with, but Egypt has really taught me to just go with it.   The days here are full of surprises.  Some days I have to search harder to find the beauty I'm looking for, but it's there.  Other days it's impossible to miss.   Today's beauty was found in a sandy beach, a little girl writing an Arabic message in the sand, the breeze in my face from the top of a double decker bus, laughs with friends, and an enthusiastic cabbie.

No comments:

Post a Comment