Sunday, December 16, 2018

November 22, 2018: Happy Thanksgiving!


It's pretty safe to say I never anticipated spending a Thanksgiving at the Great Pyramids.  Since we had an extra day off from school. that's exactly what a group of us decided to do.  I hadn't seen the pyramids since moving to Egypt.  I was anxious, nervous that I was going to be underwhelmed.  You grow up seeing pictures and learning about these ancient structures.  I've pictured them being massive and awe inspiring.  It seemed a bit unreal that I was on my way to see that last remaining ancient wonder of the world, and I was terrified I'd be disappointed.

They were just as awesome as I'd imagined them being.  My head was spinning from thinking about the ingenuity of designing and building something so massive so long ago.  I'm thankful for smart people who can figure this stuff out, because Lord knows my brain doesn't work that way!

I have a lot to be thankful for this year.  This journey has been a good one.  I've been blessed with the opportunity to see parts of the world I never imagined I'd see.  I'm blessed with a family who supports this crazy, wandering, nomadic lifestyle I've chosen, even though it probably gives them ulcers.  I'm blessed with old friends who have loved on me fiercely from across the world when I needed it the most, and new friends who already feel like family. 

Most of all, I'm thankful for a God who is faithful.  I've struggled a bit in my time here.  I miss worshipping alongside family and singing hymns with my nephews in my arms or dancing on the pew beside me.  I miss Sunday potlucks, good long conversations, and praying hand in hand with my neighbors and friends.  But I am thankful for a God who has shown me that He alone is enough. 

No comments:

Post a Comment