Friday, August 12, 2016

July 26, 2016: Alutiiq symbols

Alanna's dad is in town for a couple weeks.  We went to the Alutiiq museum today with our friend Jim.  It's the first time I have made it to the museum.  I was really intrigued by many different parts of the museum, but especially by the basket weaving samples and the native symbols.  I can't get over how awesome the one of the guy and the fish is! 

I haven't really spent time learning about the native culture here on the island, and that is something I would really like to do this year.  I'd love to spend time in the villages and learn about how life is lived there.  Learning Alutiiq phrases is part of our suggested social studies curriculum, so I want to be more intentional about diving into that with the kids this year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment