Wednesday, August 3, 2016

July 16, 2016: Three Sisters Hike

I really like these people.  

One of my summer goals was to hike up all three sisters in one trip.  I have hiked North Sister before and loved that hike, so I was beyond excited when Alanna suggested we do a backpacking trip and camp overnight on the sisters.  Yes!! 

We started by hiking with our packs up the backside of Middle Sister.  Middle Sister is the shortest of the sisters and looks completely mundane wedged between the other two.  I was feeling sorry for her as we ascended.  North Sister definitely gets all the hype in Kodiak, South Sister is pretty tall and majestic, and poor Middle Sister is suffering from Middle Sister syndrome.  However, I learned quickly that though Middle Sister looks timid and humble, she is a terror.  The sides of this mountain were rocky and steep, and this turned out to be the most intimidating climb I have done thus far.  After we reached the top of Middle Sister, we threw off our packs and hiked to the top of South Sister. That's where this picture was taken.  You can see Middle and North Sister behind us.  We hiked back down to our packs, set up camp, made dinner (freeze dried pasta is the BEST), watched a gorgeous sunset and enjoyed each other's company.  
The sunset was amazing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment