Thursday, August 25, 2016

August 16, 2016: finally! Pyramid!

I have been wanting to climb Pyramid for the last year, and we finally made it happen today! My dad, Meagan, Jesse, Jesse's boyfriend Barry, and our friend Kelly set out to conquer this mountain today.  Pyramid is a level 5 peak, which means it's pretty difficult.  It's fairly steep, and the last 100 yards or so require some hands and knees, scramble/rock climb action.  I was fairly certain most of my family hadn't climbed something like this before, so I wasn't sure how it was going to go.  They rocked it! I love this mountain because you can easily stop at nearly the peak and get great views while avoiding all the insane rock climbing parts, or you can just go for it, and get all the way up if you don't mind a little more nervous effort.  Some of us stopped at the base of the peak, and some of us chose to summit it.  My dad was the wild card- the man is super fit and spends a ton of time traipsing around in the woods, but he lost his big toe in a motorcycle accident years ago.  Not so good when teetering on the edge of mountain cliffs.  He decided to go to the top, and he was calm and collected the entire hike.  After we reached the peak, we climbed back down to the spot where the rest of our family was waiting for us.  At this point, he made it clear that he was "never going to do anything like that ever again.  And your mom would have lost her shit if she knew what we just did."     :)

It's true.  She would.  Which is why I never give too many details when I describe some of my hiking adventures here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment