Wednesday, June 8, 2016

May 28, 2016: crab fest!

Crab fest.  Where do I even begin?!  The floats in the parade were filled with kiddos in felt crab hats and full grown adults dancing in bear or crab costumes. Unlike the Homer 4th of July parade, however, there were no outhouses on any of the floats.  That was different.  

I heard that the seafood at the festival was amazing.  I couldn't eat most of it because of my allergy, but I can tell you the crab smelled awesome.  The crepes... Well I had 4 if that tells you anything. 

The events:  -Coast Guard rescue demonstration where a stellar sea lion swam within 6 feet of the rescue swimmer.  Crazy!   -A survival suit race where teams had to run down the dock, put the suits on, swim out into the harbor, and get into these giant, floating things.  - A fish toss competition (see the picture of Alanna below).  She and Tim did pretty well! 

I didn't make it to a lot of the other events that I would like to next year.  The blessing of the fleets, the fishermen's memorial where they remember all men who died at sea in the last year, the arm wrestling competition or the hot dog eating competition.  I am looking forward to next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment