Sunday, June 19, 2016

June 3, 2016: whale watching

Seward: I love you.  Today Jo and I ate huge crepes at this Belgian barn, went on a whale watching tour, and bummed around the harbor area.  This picture was taken from the boat we were on.  The cliffs are covered in birds and bird poo.  DISGUSTING!! If you didn't know, I am terrified of birds.  I actually love living in Kodiak because the birds here seem to stay away from you, unlike the pigeons in Chicago.  Even though the birds completely grossed me out, it was really awesome to see so many of them nestled into one cliff.  I hadn't seen anything like that before. 

We saw an adolescent humpback whale.  I was shocked at how close to the shore he was swimming.  Jo and I were the only two people on our boat tour, so we got to ask all of our questions about humpbacks, orcas, sea lions, homesteaders, and all sorts of other random Alaskan wonders.  

After we left Seward, we headed to Anchorage.  That drive is gorgeous because it takes you right along the shore.  There are mountains, wildlife, and water the whole drive.  This trip has been one beautiful scene after another.  

1 comment:

  1. What a phenomenal series of moments! Now that I think about it, I'm not overly fond of the bird population either. Go away! In fact. But, wow. It sounds fortunate that all of you were able to see the whale so up close and personal. The fact that your tour wasn't overly crowded sounds lucky, too.

    ReplyDelete