Wednesday, May 11, 2016

May 4, 2016: Kodiak runs

I have always loved dandelions, but seeing them on a cliff overlooking the ocean makes me love them even more.  


Also- going for runs in Alaska is 7 billion times better than going for runs in Chicago.  I miss quite a few things (rather, people) about Chicago, but running there is not one of them.  Here's why: 

-in Chicago, cars try to hit you while you run.  Or bikes. Or other runners.  Inevitably, someone is going to smash into you. 

-you always have to do that weird half jumping, half running in place thing when you're stopped at a stoplight.  Which is all the freaking time.  Kodiak has one stoplight. 

-aside from the lakefront, which is absolutely gorgeous, there's not a ton to look at. 

-there are far fewer cat calls being made in Kodiak. 

-I don't feel like I have to have the newest lululemon leggings on when I work out.  I can wear the same exact running outfit here for 4 runs straight, be seen by the same people every single one of those runs, and not be judged. 

After reflecting though, there are definitely some things I miss about Chicago runs.  Like running without the fear of a bear leaping from the bushes.  Or being able to find a long route filled with geocaches.  Or running in sunshine.  Or stopping for fro-yo afterwards.  Or having a gas station along the way in case you want to snag a Gatorade.  Or knowing that at any moment, you can catch the train or bus home if you're dying. 

Man, I guess I do kind of miss running in Chicago.  This view though... (and only a mile and a half run from my house...) 

No comments:

Post a Comment