Wednesday, May 11, 2016

May 2, 2016: bearded man in the woods

Our kids have an art walk coming up in a couple of weeks.  They get to have an artist from Kodiak spend a week with them, teaching and creating with them.  This year, the inspiration for the whole school comes from the artist Andy Goldsworthy.   If you haven't seen his art before, look him up! He is incredible.  He uses only materials from nature, and his art is all temporary.  My mind was blown when I saw pictures of his work.  This week, the kids worked on creating mosaics and sculptures made from all natural materials.  One kid made this, and it made my heart happy.  Then another kid informed me that the moss used for the man's facial hair is actually called beard moss.  And that made my already happy heart even happier.  It's just now occurring to me that the kid may have actually made it up.  Regardless, I love how much my kids here know about nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment