Sunday, May 14, 2017

April 14, 2017: Directionally challenged

I went for a quick run out to Boyscout beach today.  When I got to the beach I ran into a couple there who had just moved to Kodiak.  They asked me if I was familiar with the woods and the paths, because they had gotten a bit turned around and weren't sure if they could figure out how to get back to the road.  I have run out to Boyscout dozens of times, so I confidently told them which way to go to get back.  They were beyond grateful as it was getting kind of late and they had their baby with them.  I said goodbye and began running ahead of them, back to the main road.  After a while I came to the first fork in the path and realized I had forgotten about this turn, and if the family followed my exact directions, they were doomed to wander.  I had already covered a decent distance, and they were walking slowly, so I didn't want to run all the way back to where they were.  Plus, who was to say I had given them correct directions for the rest of the path as well.  I decided to make them arrows with the sticks and rocks to point them in the right direction for the rest of the trail.


I put these at every fork in the trail.  I checked the news for the next couple of days, and I didn't hear about any dead families found in the wilderness.  I am assuming they made it out ok.

1 comment: