Friday, March 24, 2017

February 24, 2017: Liberty

Kim Raisley teaches kindergarten across the hall from me.  I don't know if she fully knows it, but she is one of the major reasons I survived first grade last year.  She's phenomenal at what she does, and I hope that someday I can become the kind of teacher that she is.  Kim is a master at teaching her kids how to draw using various shapes.  They usually work on animals, but yesterday they drew the Statue of Liberty.  She hung her kids' drawings up in the hallway this morning, and underneath the drawings she printed the words that are on the plaque at the base of the statue.  They say, "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breath free, the wretched refuse of your teeming shore.  Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door."



This is really, really beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment