Sunday, February 5, 2017

January 31, 2017: Versa Style Dance Company

Alanna, Kayla, and I went to see the Versa-Style Dance Company perform tonight.  They were FANTASTIC!  This is a dance company from LA that uses hip hop to empower youth from their communities.  Their dances were moving.  And a lot of fun. 

I had to laugh, because in the beginning of the show, there was an announcement encouraging audience participation, as the dancers feed off of the energy from the crowd.  I have been to a lot of the Arts performances this year, and this was the rowdiest I have ever seen Kodiak.  You have to remember, the Kodiak Arts crowd tends to be very white and decently old.  So when I say it was rowdy, I simply mean that some of the older ladies were clapping along with music, a large group of people were swaying and bopping their heads, and every once in a while an especially bold group of young people would yell out "WHOO, YEAH!" after a really cool dance move.  So... compared to the types of audiences the company probably gets in LA, we must have seemed incredibly unenthusiastic.  I wanted to stand up and yell to them, "You don't understand!  You are making Kodiak dance a little in their seats!  That's a big deal!  We like you!  We really like you!"  I didn't though. 


This guy was my favorite.  His dancing oozed joyfulness.  I think when I get to heaven, I'll be able to dance like he did.  

No comments:

Post a Comment