Sunday, February 5, 2017

January 29, 2017: Dead lady's cliff

After church this morning, I was planning to go to potluck with my friends like I do every Sunday, but I felt really sad and anti-social at the last minute.  Instead of meeting up with my friends, I came to Near Island and went for a little walk to clear my head. I haven't walked out here much this winter.  I was stunned at how many of the trees have been knocked down in the storms this winter.  On one stretch of the trail, there is destruction everywhere you look.  Dozens of trees are uprooted, laying across the ground, or precariously resting on other trees.  The trail is strewn with limbs and needles.  I vaguely remember seeing this when I was out here in December, but I didn't remember the damage being this extensive.  I tried to take a panoramic picture of one of these stretches of knocked over trees, but you can't really see much of it.  It was the only picture I took, so it'll have to do. 


Aside from being more than a little sad about nothing, and a little more sad about the trees, the walk was good.  It was what I needed.  The sun was out, and when I reached the cliffs, I laid in the grass and took a 10 minute nap.  I woke to the sound of a plane flying overhead, and I hoped that he didn't radio in to someone, telling them he saw a dead lady on Near Island whose body needed to be recovered, because I'm sure that's what I looked like.  Normal, full of life ladies don't just take random naps on cliff sides in the winter time.  Some days being normal is really hard and maybe not worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment