Sunday, February 5, 2017

January 27, 2017: Galley Tables

I have raved about Galley Tables in many posts before.  As a quick recap for those of you who are not on the island, Galley Tables is a story telling event where 7 different people tell a story that is 7 minutes long surrounding a given topic.  Tonight's topic was "Out of the Blue."  My dear friend Kinsey was sharing tonight, and I was so excited to hear her story!!  I was working our school's bingo night tonight, and it went longer than expected.  I sped to town as soon as it was over in an attempt to catch Kinsey's story.  As I walked in, she was just finishing up.  I got to hear the last couple minutes or so, and from that little portion, I could tell she decided to go with a heartfelt, raw story about her life.  Galley Tables is an awesome event because even though you're telling your story to hundreds of people, the space and time is so safe.  The community is there to support you.  I have heard someone say once that a successful Galley Tables event will make you laugh, make you cry, and make you feel lots of things in between.   I'm really, tremendously proud of Kinsey for telling a story in the first place, but especially telling one that was emotional and vulnerable.    I have shared bits and pieces of my depression story with a small group of friends, and have even mentioned a little bit here and there on this blog.  I don't think I would have the courage to lay it all out, in front of several hundred unfamiliar faces.  I know that so many people were touched by her story, so I hope I can someday summon the courage to share like she did!

2 comments:

  1. Sometime we should share our stories. Love you, dear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love that. I think of you sometimes and always wish I knew more. :)

    ReplyDelete