Wednesday, September 7, 2016

September 6, 2016: nailed it

Today we began our writing workshop time.  We talked about how some of the best stories we can write are true stories about things that have happened to us.  In the beginning of first grade, we are all about sketching and labeling before we write sentences.  Yes, I know how to spell rainbow and kayak.  We model phonetic spelling in the beginning so that the kids are comfortable trying spelling on their own without being afraid to use big words they don't know how to spell.  I modeled how to sketch and label a story about something that happened to me.  I chose to write about yesterday's adventure on the kayaks with my two friends.  It's really hard to tell which picture is the real thing and which one is my sketch.  


No comments:

Post a Comment