Tuesday, September 27, 2016

September 25, 2016: Barometer

I love this picture.  It was the accidental shot as I was setting up my camera timer.  It makes me happy.  

We hiked Barometer today.  I haven't attempted this beast of a mountain since last summer when it nearly gave me an anxiety attack.  A year later, I felt like it was time.  I can happily say that Barometer no longer terrifies me! I feel all grown up.  There was still a point when I was over it and just wanted to get to the bottom.  The sides of this mountain are so steep and craggy.  There are crosses along the path honoring people who have died climbing and for a majority of the hike I am usually imagining my body somersaulting down the side of the mountain.  Even so, I really enjoyed the climb today.  Good company, fantastic views, a decent work out, and we even got to see bears at the bottom of the mountain.  Three of them! A mom and two cubs met us at a fork in the path.  This was the first time I have seen bears here while on foot.  I felt relatively safe because there were six of us in our group.  The bears seemed curious at first and then completely indifferent to us.  As exciting as it was, I don't need the experience again.  I prefer seeing them out my car window, or across a river bed or something.    


No comments:

Post a Comment