Saturday, April 16, 2016

April 14, 2016: rhubarb remedies

I was not feeling well today!! I took the day off from school because I had terrible stomach cramps, an insane cough, and could barely get out of bed.  Alanna is a nurse for KANA (Kodiak Area Native Association), so she is always hearing about these home remedies for ailments.  Today she came home for lunch and found me in bed. After telling her about my medical problems, she told me that just that morning she heard a coworker say that if you have a fever you can wrap your feet in rhubarb leaves to rid your body of it.  She asked if I had a fever.  I didn't earlier in the day, but we grabbed the thermometer to check.  We both cheered with excitement when the little timer went off and I did actually have one! Alanna has been growing rhubarb on our porch, so she grabbed some leaves and we stuffed them into my socks.  I laid in bed with them all day long.  I drove to Safeway for Gatorade and crackers and kept the leaves attached to my feet the whole time.  My fever went up at one point in the day, but by the end of the evening, it was back down to normal.  If it wasn't for the rhubarb, I am sure I would have ended up in the hospital or something ;) 

No comments:

Post a Comment