Wednesday, April 6, 2016

April 1, 2016: duct tape

Tonight I went to Galley Tables, which is this story telling event in Kodiak held once a month.  Each month has a theme, and seven different people come on stage and tell a story about their lives based on that theme.  Tonight's theme was "duct tape" and my friend Laura told a story.  She killed it! Her story was hilarious and she had everyone in the theater cracking up.  The last story started with one man on stage explaining that he wrote a song about duct tape and wanted to share it with us.  He sang one verse of the song and all of a sudden two more men in the audience stood up and sang another verse of the song.  Then they joined the first man on stage.  This kept happening until there were 8 guys all singing this ridiculous song about duct tape. 

I am not sure why, but this really made my day.  I love Kodiak.  I love that people are willing to get up on stage in front of friends and strangers, knowing that they will most likely run into every single person in that audience at some point because it's such a small town, and tell their story.  I love that the audience is so gracious and supportive.  I love that strangers don't really remain strangers for very long here.  I love that 8 men got together and wrote a song about duct tape to sing at Galley Tables.  There are times I want to scream at Safeway because I was planning a zucchini dinner only to find out that there is no zucchini on the island until Tuesday, or I am sad because I can't just pop home for the weekend to see my family, or I just want to eat Chipotle or something remotely close to it but that's never going to happen here.  And then I remember these moments that have made me fall in love with Kodiak.  

No comments:

Post a Comment