Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 9, 2012: CTU Strike

Karen Lewis announced tonight that the CPS teachers will be going on strike tomorrow morning.  The board of education has had months to negotiate and it has not happened.  We are fighting for a fair contract, which includes a cap in class sizes (some classes have over 45 students in them!), a fair evaluation system, adequate compensation for the longer school year, and equal opportunity for all students in CPS, regardless of which school they attend.

I had mixed feelings about the strike.  Coming from a private school, I am already receiving more pay and resources than I did at my other school.  My new school is phenomenal, and I was worried that striking would make it look like I was ungrateful for the new blessings I found.

However, I realize that not all CPS teachers are in as great of a school as I am.  And that is not fair.  All schools should have the same benefits and resources that mine does.  Those children are just as valuable as the children at my school.  I am willing to stand beside all Chicago Teacher Union teachers until the contract is agreed upon and ALL students are given the same opportunities to learn well.

The board of education has been given more than enough time to work with the CTU.  The negotiations have been unsuccessful.  Though the teachers would rather be in the rooms teaching students, this movement is about ensuring that what happens when the kids to school is the best it can be.  Let the strike begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment