Thursday, December 1, 2016

November 25, 2016: #optoutside

It finally happened!  I have been wanting to hike Kashevaroff since moving to Kodiak and just haven't been able to make it work.  It's a pretty substantial mountain, so the hike takes a while.  And I have been scolded for even thinking of hiking it alone since there tends to be bears on it.  So, finding the perfect combination of a sunny day and friends with free time who wouldn't rather hike something else has proven difficult.  Today, we conquered it.   What a beautiful hike!  It was icy and slippery for a majority of the hike.  Everyone except Kinsey wiped out at some point, some of us more frequently and a bit harder than others :).  The top was ridiculously cold and windy, but the views were worth it.  Snow covered mountains in all directions.  Absolutely gorgeous.  At the top, the snow was knee deep, with a nice crust of ice over the top.  Looking back, I can't believe we didn't slide right off the mountain.  At one point, on the way down, I saw Kinsey successfully sit on her feet and slide down a steep face of the mountain because it looked too slippery to handle while standing.  I tried the same method, and for a few feet I slid successfully, but I wiped out and kind of rolled down the last couple feet of the hill.

The picture below was taken about half of the way up the mountain.  I can't get over how much I love this picture.  Joel decided this should be a jumping shot without letting the rest of us know, Kinsey looks like she invested in a pair of old school hammer pants, and as Joel put it, I look like I am pushing out a fart.   Way to keep it normal, Marcus.


No comments:

Post a Comment