Monday, October 12, 2015

October 7, 2015: Martian!

I had my first Kodiak movie experience tonight!! First of all, this is probably one of the biggest changes in my life here. I used to go to movies all the time. Even by myself. I love going to movies. I knew what was coming out, I was Oscar ready, watched all the nominated films, excitedly anticipated movies being released. I have only been here for 3 months, but I have completely fallen out of the movie world. We have 2 theaters here, (one in town and one on the base). The theater in town is small and shows one movie per week, usually a while after it is released everywhere else in the world. The theater on base shows movies WAY after they come out and at random times. We found out the Martian was playing here this week, so Meg got a babysitter and we went! At the ticket counter I laughed because I didn't have to specify which movie I wanted to see and which time slot I was buying it for.  All I had to say was "just one."
I really liked the movie. I didn't know anything about it going in. I think it's my favorite space movie thus far. Sometimes I feel really far from family and friends and it was good to be reminded that I could have it worse: I could be stranded alone on Mars. Sometimes I just need Matt Damon to help me put my life in perspective.  I am mostly happy because after being in the theater I decided I would still be confident going to movies alone here. In Chicago it's really easy to blend into the masses of people. I love being with my friends, but I also love my solo time. Here, I have been a little more worried about doing things alone because you stick out more. After visiting the theater tonight, I can feel good about coming back by myself and not feeling too awkward. 


No comments:

Post a Comment