Sunday, July 12, 2015

July 1 : Flat tire

As my good friends Emma and Liza helped me pack my CRV with everything I owned, I remembered thinking, I sure hope I don't get a flat tire because we will have to take all of this out in order to get to my spare.  And there is no way I will be able to get this crap back into my car. 

Well.

Day 2 into Alaska and I got my flat.  We were on the Alcan, way into the wilderness.  No cell service and miles from any town.  I posted the picture of the tire on Facebook, but the picture below is Meg in her rain gear watching for traffic while Kyle and I unloaded my car into the rain along the side of the highway.  A magpie (which for those of you who don't know is a decently large black and white bird found all over the place here) was making a habit of landing on one of my boxes and peering into the back of my car.  I hate birds.  

Kyle knelt on the wet road, using a pool towel and a snuggie as padding, and successfully fixed the tire.  I have changed a flat tire before, but had I been by myself, this may have been the end for me.  I was very glad to have Meg and Kyle with me!

About an hour after we got back on the road, Arthur barfed in the car.  This day of driving sucked.  But we made it to Anchorage this evening!  We were staying in Anchorage for a few days before catching the ferry to Kodiak, so we were happy to be able to take a break from driving for a couple days. 


No comments:

Post a Comment