Sunday, April 23, 2017

March 15, 2017: Kalalau Trail

This was my favorite day in Kaui.  We hiked along the Kalalau Trail today to the Hanakapi'ai Falls.  These falls are around 300 feet high.  It was a 4 mile hike to get back to the falls.  Once we got there, we swam underneath them.  I have swum in waterfalls before, but nothing like this.  They were gorgeous and more powerful than any other falls I have been to.  I have been on a lot of hikes and seen so many beautiful things in nature, but floating on my back and gazing up at these powerful waters was one of my favorite adventure moments of all time.  A friend once told me that if he wasn't a Christian, he would be tempted to runaway and live in the mountains for the rest of his life.  I laughed at the time, but I am so similar.  I have moments where I'd love nothing more than to disappear into the wilderness forever.  The peace I experience there is indescribable.  God's creation is magnificent, and each plant and rock and drop of water points me to the Creator.  But God calls us to love people, and you can't do that well when you're a hermit in the woods :)


No comments:

Post a Comment