Monday, January 18, 2016

January 12, 2016: Feeling the love for Kodiak today

Another crazy sunset this evening. This time I stopped to watch it at the harbor.  I am finding more and more things to love about this island.  One thing that I have been thinking about more recently is how the people here are so generous with their time and their resources.  My first week of moving in to my apartment, I went to a garage sale where I bought shelves for $3 and came away with 4 free salmon filets because the man hosting the garage sale thought it was a shame that my freezer hadn't been stocked yet.  Just last month the instructor of a class I was taking overheard me taking about saving for a bike, and she gave me her husband's practically brand new road bike. My car broke down three times in the last three weeks and I am never afraid of being stranded or not being able to find someone to help.  Complete strangers go out of their way for one another here. It has been such a welcome change from big city living.  Don't get me wrong, I miss the city for lots of reasons, but I haven't ever even heard anyone honk their horn at someone here! It's quite lovely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment