Thursday, May 30, 2013

May 11, 2013: Fasting possessions


Jen Hatmaker and Jesus are really doing a number on me this month.  I am still reading 7 with my small group.  This week we were encouraged to look at our possessions and give 7 items away.  Each day.  49 items by the end of the week.  Sounded nearly impossible.

My closet alone yielded 54 clothing items I didn't even wear anymore.  Scrounging around the rest of my house, I came up with another 49 things.  What really got to me was that I could easily find 103 different things in my house that I had no use for but wouldn't have gotten rid of if not for this challenge.  Getting rid of this pile was easy.  What would it look like if I gave until it hurt?  If I had to find another 49 things?  What else am I holding on to that I don't actually need?  How much have I wasted by spending money on things I use a few times and forget about?   Why am I misplacing my security in my stuff and not my Savior?  

By the way, about 20 minutes after I took this picture I added two mini Christmas trees and an end table to the pile.  The nicer clothes are going to New Moms, a shelter for teen moms.  I am not sure what I am going to do with the other stuff.  Maybe hold on to it until I come across someone with a need?

No comments:

Post a Comment