Saturday, April 27, 2013

April 15, 2013: Tax day delinquent... or not...


This is my first year that I waited for the very last minute on my taxes.  I filed them at 6:00 Monday evening and discovered I owed money on my state taxes!  I began to freak out, not realizing that the post office stays open late on tax day so you can get your returns postmarked on time.  I drove to the post office and was absolutely shocked at what I saw.  There was a line of cars along the entire two blocks in front of the office. Postal workers were stationed outside with reflective vests on and traffic glowlight sticks waving cars on.  They had created a "drive through" type service so you just drove up next to them and handed your return to them out your window!  For those of us not prepared with stamps, they had mobile stamp selling stations outside.  Chicago sure knows how to cater to the procrastinators!

No comments:

Post a Comment