Sunday, April 7, 2013

April 1, 2013: My hope is found in Jesus... and this lady


Let me set the stage:

  When I got back to Chicago from spring break I had two $200 tickets on my car for not having my city sticker.  I am fully aware I was breaking the law by not having this sticker, but in my defense, I had tried 3 times to go to the alderman's office to get the sticker with no success.  All three times I went, nobody was there even though it was well within office hours.  

The tickets were irritating but there was nothing I could do at the moment so I drove to Michigan to visit my family over the Easter weekend.  While in Michigan I told my family the one thing I really wanted was a blizzard from Dairy Queen.  I drove into town only to discover that they were closed on Sunday because of Easter.  Sad.  I left for Chicago a little disappointed and still craving the blizzard.  Later that night, Katie texted me telling me she was on her way to McDonalds to get a McFlurry and asked if I wanted one.  I was so excited!  Not as great as DQ but close.  Unfortunately, she got there and they had closed down their ice-cream machine for the night.  Fail #2!

SO...  after school today I headed to the alderman's office again today for a fourth try to get a permission letter saying I can get a certain zoned sticker for my car.  They were there!  Unfortunately, they told me that the district lines had been redrawn and I was no longer in ward 25, despite what the city of chicago website says.  The woman was just about to tell me I was SOL when she saw my exasperated face.  Feeling sorry for me, she gave me the letter I needed and pointed me in the direction of the office I needed to get the actual sticker. I drove to this office only to find that they did not have any more stickers.  They told me to go to a secondary location.  I drove to this secondary location to be told that they also did not have any stickers left.  I had to go to the downtown office which closes at 5:00.  It was now 5:30 and I was pissed.  Knowing I would not get the sticker today and chance getting another $200 ticket tonight, I was extremely irritated.  I decided the only thing to do was pray for patience with this great city... and get my fricken ice cream.  This lady made me so happy when she handed me the McFlurry.  I think she thought I was a psycho.  

No comments:

Post a Comment