Thursday, August 13, 2015

August 1: Salmonberries

Today was such a GREAT day. I joined a hiking group this morning and together we climbed Pillar Mountain. I met some great people. I noticed that elderly people on this island are machines. My mountain climbing abilities were put to shame by three retired men, one who was wearing jeans and an unbuttoned button down shirt.  (Well, it started buttoned but as we climbed higher and higher, the shirt slowly opened up to let in the breeze. I am inspired by how fit people are here.  Our guide, Hans, is retired and leads hikes all summer long. He was instrumental in the development of a lot of the trail maps in Kodiak, so he made an awesome guide, pointing out the landforms and teaching us about the history of the island.  I hiked alongside him and his girlfriend the entire way down the mountain and LOVED hearing his stories. 

After the hike I went Salmonberry picking with two girls I met. (Yay, I have friends!) I hadn't been legit berry picking yet here, and it's a definite Kodiak activity. Alanna, my new friend from today (I actually asked her on the hike if she wanted to be my friend. I have no shame), is making Salmonberry jam, so I donated all of my berries to her :). All I need to do now is go fishing and I can call myself a true islander. 


No comments:

Post a Comment