Sunday, June 2, 2013

May 22, 2013: Media fast update

 
Tonight I spent some good time in my garden before small group, reflecting on the media-less week we had. I loved this week!  I spent more time reading for fun, actually had consistent time in the Word, prayed a lot more, enjoyed time hanging out with friends, didn't neglect the garden, and even took the time to just sit on a bench and be for a while.  It was almost painful trying to grade papers without Criminal Minds in the background, which is probably why my paperwork piled up a bit more this week than normal.  I was challenged this week to be more intentional with the way I am spending my time.  We don't know how many days we have on this earth.  I hope that when mine are done, I look back and can say that I tried my best to live each moment I was given to the fullest, in whatever setting I was in.  I am definitely not saying that media is bad.  I will NOT be giving up television for the rest of my days and I will definitely return to facebook (ok fine, confession time, I checked fb a couple of times this week anyway).  I am saying that I hope I can find a good medium and not go back to endless hours of mindless television or internet surfing to help me "unwind" after a long day.

As I was pulling weeds and watering and thinking about all of this, I noticed some sidewalk chalk drawings done by the kids upstairs.  I cracked up when I figured out that this picture is most likely a television :)  Well played, kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment