Wednesday, February 27, 2013

February 21, 2013: wicked phone

As you can see, I have no picture today.  This is not entirely my fault.  I had intended to take a picture at Cambridge's Black History Month program tonight.  I was going to drive to Lawndale (aka the hood) to pick up my former co-worker, Kim.  We were going to drive together to see the program, visit with our former students, and catch up with Cambridge family.  She had texted me directions to her school.  Being the great planner that I am, I didn't look at the directions until I was already on my way.  About 4 directions away, my phone completely shut off.  I was in the middle of the hood, with no directions, no number, no idea what school she worked at, and no way to contact her.  I just kept driving, hoping I would run into an elementary school.  I finally passed one in what I knew was the general area of her school.  The kids had just been dismissed and were waiting in lines outside the building to be picked up.  I jumped out of my car and ran over to the building, just as the teachers began quickly ushering the students back inside.  I asked if a teacher named Kim worked there.  One teacher answered, "No, but you better get back to your car.  We're going on lock down.  There is something crazy going down on the other side of this building."  Another teacher began yelling to the staff members "Lock the doors!  Lock the doors!"

I ran back to my car.  And proceeded to drive around the hood, while crazy stuff was happening.  I stopped at three different schools to ask if Kim worked there and got turned down each time.  Finally a school let me use the computer, so I called Cambridge.  Thankfully they had her number on file and I was able to get a hold of her, 40 minutes after I had planned to pick her up.  She told me she was sure I had been shot.  

All that to say, my phone stayed dead all night.  It wouldn't turn on, not even after being charged for hours.  And who knows where my actual camera is.  After getting an iphone, I haven't seen that thing in months.

No comments:

Post a Comment