Friday, September 11, 2015

August 31: First Day of School...and Family

I survived my first day in first grade. It was... Different.  I didn't think that first grade would be much different than second... They're just a little younger and cuter, right? Woah. A LOT younger, a lot more squirrelly, much more dependent, have much shorter attention spans... And yes, really cute!!!  I can honesty say learning first grade is going to be more work than I anticipated, but I know it will ultimately make me a better teacher. I was VERY comfortable after my 8 years in second grade, and I needed a change and a challenge.  I got one :).  The kids are amazingly sweet and funny ( I have one kiddo that showed me how he speaks dolphin).  I am excited to grow alongside these kids and to see how we all change and mature thorough the year. 

It was really nice to have a good reason to leave school at a decent hour today. If my family wasn't here visiting, I probably would have locked myself in my classroom for the night and stressed about making day 2 perfect. Newsflash: if you are a teacher, day 2 will never be prefect. Not will day 3, or day 4 or day 104. We work with kids. Kids are supposed to be messy. They are supposed to be making mistakes.  MY biggest mistake would be sitting alone somewhere stressing about the tiniest details that are out of my control anyway. So thank you to my family for getting my out of school at a decent hour, for listening to my recap of the day, for giving me good feedback, and for helping me laugh and decompress.  And for taking extremely weird "is this a cover of a band photo shoot" type pictures. 

Where is Arthur, you wonder? Right behind me, pushing me off the deck as I take the picture. That's why it is a little crooked. But doesn't explain why Jesse is doing what she is doing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment